22 Feb Recipe of the month chicken parmesan
Ingredients for Marinara sauce:
1 28 ounce can whole Marzano tomatoes
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
Small dried whole chile, or pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large fresh basil sprig, or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, more to taste.
- Poor tomatoes into a large bowl and crush with your hands. Pour 1 cup water into can and slosh it around to get tomato juices. Reserve.
- In a large skillet (do not use deep pot) over medium heat, heat the oi. When it is hot, add garlic.
- As soon as garlic is sizzling (do not let it brown), add the tomatoes, then the reserved tomato water. Add whole chile or red pepper flakes, oregano (if using) and salt. Stir.
- Place basil sprig, including stem, on the surface (like a flower). Let it wilt, then submerge in sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and oil on the surface is a deep orange, about 15 minutes. (If using oregano, taste sauce after 10 minutes of simmering, adding more salt aand oregano as needed). Discard basil and chile (if using).
4 each skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 pinch salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup panko bread crumbs, or more as needed
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablesppons all purpose flour, or more if needed
1 cup olive oil for frying
½ cup prepared tomato sauce
¼ cup fresh ;mozzarella, cut into small cubes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup grated provolone cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Place chicken breast between two sheeps of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with a smooth side of a meeat mallet to thickness of ½ inch. Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs in shallow bowl and set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs and ½ cup parmesan cheese in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Place flour in a sifter or strainer: sprinkle over chicken breasts, evenly coating both sides.
- Dip flour coated chicken into beaten eggs. Transfer breast to breadcrumb mixture, pressing the crumbs into both sides. Repeat for each breast. Set aside breaded chicken breasts for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 cup olive oil in a large skillet on medium-hi heat until it begins to shimmer. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.
- Place chicken in a backing dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup of tomato sauce. Layer each chicken breast with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and provolone cheese. Sprinkle 1 to 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top of drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, and chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, 15-20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 165 degrees.
Now you are ready to put over your favorite noodles and enjoy!!!!!